MandeJaeger

GBB Rifle/SMG: Opinions Needed

So I'm not new to Airsoft, I've played in Thailand, Cambodia, Denmark, and now I'm here. I've talked to a couple suppliers regarding GBB weapons, and both of them said that using a GBB is sort of bad? Is this true? I'm just curious as to how Romanian players see GBB rifles/SMGs used in Team death match events and similar battles.

Now with that out of the way, I'm still planning on getting a GBB, probably going to make a DMR or CQB styled kit, which gun/guns do you guys think are the best candidates regarding this?

Please, write in English, my Romanian sucks hard and I'm tired of using Google Translate.

Best regards,

- S.D.

Hi and welcome to Romania

The first thing you need to consider is the weather here in Romania. We have a lot of cold months, from October right up until April or May. Last week and 2 weeks ago I took my 5-7 GBB pistol out to a game at the Ciorogarla forest and I could only get 3-4 rounds per each GBB mag before all the gas popped out. The temperature was around 12 degrees Celcius in both cases.

Generally, below 15 degrees Celcius, the GBB guns are pretty much useless.

Hi and welcome to Romania

The first thing you need to consider is the weather here in Romania. We have a lot of cold months, from October right up until April or May. Last week and 2 weeks ago I took my 5-7 GBB pistol out to a game at the Ciorogarla forest and I could only get 3-4 rounds per each GBB mag before all the gas popped out. The temperature was around 12 degrees Celcius in both cases.

Generally, below 15 degrees Celcius, the GBB guns are pretty much useless.

Thanks! Good to know, but what about the view on GBB weapons in games? Do players here in Romania dislike the use of GBB's during games?

I like very very much the players who use GBBR, especially when they are OpFor! (Joke mode)

Any standard AEG will outperform in range , precision and stamina ( as per number of bb's and times betwen reloads ) many /most GBBR.

But !!! Airsoft is not (only) about winning but about passion, and anything that make you feel good on the field is encouraged by those who think this too!

Welcome to the game!

As regards DMR, my personal opinion is that in airsoft the DMR role is very much a desire of the people to combine the range of the sniper with the semiauto of the AEG but still using high FPS.

Personal choice is a good long range bolt action + short/mid range AEG ( pdw style) for woodland or a GBB pistol ( in urban scenarios). Only a well tuned HPA will do better, in my humble opinion.

This also depends on the type of game/ rules applying ( usual Sunday game or big scenario events).

My advice is to go to several games , to lease guns and to talk to people using different types before deciding the big choices!

Have fun!

We use a lot of GBB pistols in games. Actually we used to have rounds where we only ran pistols and pump shotguns and those are a blast.

I dabbled in the GBBR territory with a JG M4 GBBR (WA clone) and it left a sour taste in my mouth. It wasnt the specific implementation itself but the inherent problems of the gas system. Basically you can't use it when it's cold, they are unreliable and require a lot more maintenance than an AEG, their mags are all low capacity very heavy and insanely expensive (for example, the GBBR costed about $200 and 4 mags were about $200 more), they are prone to breaking (broke one one the first day when it slipped out of my hand in a fast reload and landed on concrete). The replica itself (the WA system) is prone to double feeds and missfeeds, the mags suffer from full auto cooldown (if you fire on full auto continuously, you might not even get to dump a mag before you run out of gas) and most airsoft red dots will either lose zero or straight fall apart after multiple uses due to the recoil.

To actually get the system to a proper reliable state (nowhere near as close to an AEG but skirmishable) I invested close to $600 and that's starting with a very cheap replica that was OK stock. Just in internal upgrades, mags and optic.

That being said, when that thing fired, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The clang of the bolt, the sound of the buffer spring, the functional bolt release... That's just pure joy you can't get from an AEG. You can feel the trigger breaking, you learn to control the recoil and save your ammo. Man when it works, that thing is fun as hell.

People these days run pressurized air systems with an external compressed air source and regulators with GBBRs but I don't find the hose thing sticking out of my mag so appealing so I never tried one. I hear they are extremely reliable and the compressed air overcomes all the problems of propane in cold weather. So that might be an (expensive) solution for running GBBRs in romanian weather.

I tried GBBRs myself, a WE G36 and a G&P M4WOC. They both gave me an amazing feeling but not that many kills. They are not all that consistent due to all the variables involved in shooting a bb with gas... Therefore I stick with my AEG as a primary. I'm using GBB pistols or recently an SMG as secondaries - way better choice in my opinion. SMGs go well for CQB too.

We have a smaller indoor playing field in Iasi (about 70 x 18 m), for smal team vs team skirmishes, that's where I use my GBBR's mostly. I have a KWA Kriss Vector, a TM MP7 and a TM Breacher shotgun that I enjoy very much in these close-and-personal type of games.

Outside, in the forest, they're pretty useless, although I still occasionally use my MP7 and Breacher as side-arms for CQB games.

Great for the look and feel, not so much for the performance compared to AEG's. But, as someone said earlier, airsoft is not only about the number of kills. A GBBR is a very nice addition to a serious airsofter's arsenal, but not as its only / main replica. To be used just for the thrills

P.S. If I were to recommend a GBBR, I'd go for the TM MP7. Amazingly accurate, good ammo and gas capacity, fantastic recoil, very versatile and reliable.

Always coming back to the same question...what to buy, why, what is your opinion?

Buy the toy you like, follow your desire and feelings. Listen the advice, filter and buy what you like.

So, buy a GBBR, the platform you like, play, feel and if you don't like it, sell it as there is a huge market for used guns! I suggest a common model M4, Scar GBBR to upgrade it as you like, second hand with many mags for 350 e. PM me to give you some tips!

Buy a assault rifle, so you can use the full auto (even if is not accurate) but is all for fun. Feel the recoil, smile and lough like a kid.

We are all kids but the price of our toys is higher Look on my signatures how many I had...even I cannot believe sometimes

---we need more guns--